How to use RTT on iPhone to get real-time texting while on calls
RTTfeature on a iPhonesends text messages immediately as you type them without having to press send.
- RTT, or real-time text, is built into iPhone 6 and later and can be enabled through the Accessibility menu in your Settings app.
- IPhone users with RTT enabled will see their RTT call transcripts saved and made available for download.
Realtime Text is an advanced accessibility protocol for people with speech and hearing difficulties. It transmits text and audio as you type and speak, allowing the receiver to read the message instantly.
Designed for phone users who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired, but usable by anyone, it comes standard on all models of iPhone 6 and higher.
RTT is not yet supported by all operators in every country or region, which means availability may depend on the network and operator used. But if it’s available with your service, your iPhone’s RTT tool can be enabled and configured through the Accessibility menu in your phone’s settings.
Quick advice: When RTT or TTY is activated, a telephone type symbol will be present at the top of your screen during calls.
Once activated, you can communicate with other RTT or TTY device users.
How to activate RTT on an iPhone
1. Open your Settings application.
2. Use the search tool or scroll until you see Accessibility. Tap on it.
3. To select RTT / ATS from the list of options.
4. Light up RTT / TTY software.
5. Choose a line if your iPhone has dual SIM.
6. Tap Relay number then enter the number used for relay service calls when using RTT / TTY software.
7. Activate Answer all calls in RTT / TTY. Then confirm your decision to automatically answer RTT calls instead of voice calls.
8. Press the button to Send immediately to enable sending of characters as you type them.
How to start an RTT / TTY call on an iPhone
1. In the Call app, tap the number of the contact you want to call.
2. Tap RTT / TTY call or RTT / TTY relay call when prompted.
3. When the call is connected, press Use RTT in the lower right corner.
Quick advice: If RTT is supported by your carrier, your iPhone will default to using the RTT protocol once the call is started.
How to type text on iPhone during RTT / TTY call
To send an SMS during an RTT / TTY, enter it as you would for an SMS in the call field. Yes Send immediately is on, the recipient will see each character as you type.
If it is disabled, press the arrow symbol in the message window to send your communication. Finally, if you want to send audio, just tap the microphone symbol and start talking.
How to view the transcript of an RTT call on an iPhone
1. Open the Call application.
2. In the Recent tab, scroll down until you find the RTT / TTY call you want transcribed for.
3. On the call line, press Info symbol, which looks like the letter “i” in a circle.
4. Press the Download icon in the upper right corner and follow the remaining instructions.
What is an RTT call? How the Text Accessibility feature allows you to send text messages in real time What is alt text? How to Use the Page Element for Images to Improve Your Website’s Accessibility and Search Ranking A Guide to Text-to-Speech, the Popular Accessibility Feature that Gets Your Computer, Phone, or Tablet to You read aloud using 2 built-in screen reading tools