How to Share Wi-Fi Password from iPhone to Android
We’ve all been there – your friends are gone and they want to connect to home Wi-Fi, but you’ve forgotten the password and lost that little piece of paper you scribbled it on there’s all those years. Fortunately, you can share the network directly from your phone with a little preparation. Sharing a Wi-Fi network between Apple devices is so easy you don’t even have to think about it, and Android 10 introduced Wi-Fi network sharing via a QR code right in the settings app.
You’d be remiss to assume it’s that easy to share a Wi-Fi network from an iPhone to an Android device, though – getting there requires playing with a shortcut and even then it’s far from easy. ‘to be practical. Let’s see how you can share Wi-Fi network from iPhone to Android.
How to Share Wi-Fi Network from iOS to Android Using Shortcut App
As mentioned earlier, iOS has no native way to share a Wi-Fi network with an Android device, but we’ll explain how to set up a shortcut to more or less emulate the QR code sharing method found on Android phones – with a few warnings. , sure. You’ll need to know the Wi-Fi password to set up the QR code, and you’ll need to manually set up a shortcut for each network you want to share. The Shortcuts app, on iPhones with iOS 13 and above by default, lets you automate processes by running pre-programmed scripts and routines.
In this case, you will need a third-party shortcut from ShortcutsGallery.com. Although this shouldn’t be a problem most of the time, be careful when using third-party shortcuts. There is a risk of harm and data loss if you accidentally download a malicious shortcut or incorrect program.
How to Add the Wi-Fi Share Shortcut on Your iPhone
- Open Safari and go to shortcutsgallery.com/shortcuts/share-wi-fi to find the Share Wi-Fi shortcut.
- Faucet Get a shortcut down the screen to start the download and open the shortcut in the Shortcuts app.
- If prompted to open the shortcut in the Shortcuts app, tap Open.
- Scroll down the Shortcuts app until you see the Add Shortcut button. Tap it to add the shortcut to your iPhone.
Now that you’ve added the shortcut to your phone, you need to adjust the shortcut so that it works as expected, namely, you need to add the Wi-Fi password that you want to be able to share. Remove the small piece of paper on which you scribbled the Wi-Fi password. Once armed with your Wi-Fi password, open the Shortcuts app to start editing the Share Wi-Fi shortened as follows:
- On the My shortcuts page, find it Share Wi-Fi Shortcut.
- Press the three points in the upper right corner of the shortcut to edit the shortcut.
- Look for the input block called Text who has Add Wi-Fi Password.
- Replace Add Wi-Fi Password with the password of the Wi-Fi network you want to share.
- Faucet the symbol of the cross in the top right corner of the screen to save changes to your Wi-Fi Share shortcut.
You can now press the Share Wi-Fi shortcut in the Shortcuts app to display a QR code with the Wi-Fi information of the network you are currently connected to. If you want to save yourself a few clicks, you can also add this shortcut to your home screen for easy access without opening the Shortcuts application.
For the shortcut to work, you must be connected to the network you are trying to share. If you want to share another network, you can duplicate the Share Wi-Fi shortcut you just created. Come back to second step, where we changed the shortcut and enter the correct Wi-Fi password. If you create multiple Wi-Fi Share shortcuts, it’s a good idea to rename them appropriately.
If you’re signed in using your iCloud account on your iPhone, the shortcut should also sync with all other devices signed in with that same iOS account, meaning you’ll get the same functionality on your iMac, iPad, Mac Minis and MacBooks. .
How to Use a QR Code to Join a Wi-Fi Network on Android
We now know how to create the Wi-Fi QR code on your iPhone, but it is equally important to understand how to use this QR code on an Android device. There are several ways to scan a QR code on an Android device, and which one you should use depends on your Android version and the device manufacturer’s software skin.
Android’s fragmentation is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness, but the most convenient way is to use the camera app, Google Assistant, or Google Lens. If you’re on Android 8 or newer, you should be able to scan the QR code and connect to the network directly from the Camera application :
- Open the Camera application.
- Go to Photo fashion.
- Point the phone at the QR code, make sure the QR code is centered and well lit, and hold it in frame for a few seconds. You should see a pop-up prompting you to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- In the pop-up window prompting you to connect to the network, tap Connect to network to log in.
If the above steps did not work and you are using a device with Android 9 or newer, you should check the Camera application settings to ensure that Scan QR codes option is enabled. This differs from device to device, but in general you just need to open the Camera app, find Settings (it should be a cog at the edge of the screen, usually at the top in a corner) and locate Scan QR codes and activate it.
If you’ve tried scanning the QR code with your phone’s camera and you’re having no luck, you can also use the Google app to scan QR codes:
- Open the Google application.
- In the Look for bar at the top of the screen, you should see a small camera icon. Tap the camera icon in the Look for bar to open Google lens.
- The Google Lens The main screen will have a preview of your device’s gallery and a small camera preview window at the top of the page.
- Expand the camera preview window by dragging it down from anywhere in the window.
- Once the Google lens camera the screen is fully magnified, point the camera towards QR Code on your iPhone, making sure the QR code is well lit and centered in the frame.
- hold it QR Code in the center of the Google lens camera preview window for a few seconds until an outline appears around the QR code.
- Once there is a to present around it, tap the QR code to freeze the frame and bring you to a new window showing a preview of the image you just took.
- In the Insight with the QR Code, there should be a prompt at the bottom of the screen titled QR Code: Wi-Fi with a Join the network button. If there isn’t QR Code: Wi-Fi prompt, press the QR Code in the image to display the prompt.
- In the appear, faucet Join the network to connect to the network.
Android just does some things better
Despite being unnecessarily involved – and not incredibly useful unless you share a Wi-Fi network a lot – if you’ve followed the steps correctly, you should now be able to share a Wi-Fi network from iOS to Android in one go. single click.
If you’re tired of all the hoops you have to jump through to do simple things like sharing Wi-Fi networks – a process natively built into Android – or if you want to try something new, why not switch to Android? There are plenty of fantastic Android phones out there, whether you’re looking for the best of the best or want to spend a little less on a budget device.
Bose QuietComfort 45 headphones are down to their Black Friday price again