How to Install an App or Game on Your iPhone
So either you just got your first iPhone or you’ve only used your phone for simple tasks and you’ve never installed an app before. With apps, an iPhone can do more than just call, text or take photos. Here’s how to install them.
To download or buy apps on your iPhone, you need an Apple ID with a payment method (like a credit card) set up with Apple. Your iPhone must also have any restrictions that might prevent apps from downloading disabled (such as Screen Time or Kiosk Mode restrictions). And finally, you will need enough free storage space available on your iPhone to hold the apps you are going to download.
RELATED: How much storage space do you need on your iPhone?
Types of applications: free, paid or by subscription
Before you install an app on your iPhone, it helps to familiarize yourself with the three main types of apps on the App Store:
- Free apps: These apps are free to download at first, but are usually supported by in-app advertising or in-app purchases, allowing you to pay for features later. In the App Store, you will see a button that says “Get” next to them.
- Paid apps: These apps cost money to download as a one-time purchase, and you get free updates as long as the app remains supported by the developer. Pad apps are less likely to contain in-app purchases or advertising, but it’s still possible. These apps have a price listed in a button next to their name.
- Subscription Apps: These apps can be free or paid apps that support each other through a paid subscription that bills your payment method on file with Apple regularly over time, such as once a month or once a year. Be careful because some apps offer unreasonable predatory subscriptions that charge too much for a simple service.
RELATED: What is an in-app purchase?
How to Install Apps on iPhone
First, turn on your iPhone and unlock it. On the home screen, tap the App Store icon, which has a blue icon with a stylized “A” on it.
Point: If you cannot find the App Store icon, the App Store may be disabled due to parental controls in Screen Time (See Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions > iTunes & App Store Purchases) . You can also search the App Store using Spotlight.
When the App Store opens, an overview screen appears. Using the row of buttons at the bottom of the screen, tap the section of the store you want to visit. Here is a description of what each button means:
- Today: This includes ads and promotions for apps that Apple wants you to see first.
- Games: This section presents games that you can play on your iPhone.
- Applications: This is for apps that aren’t games, such as productivity apps, media streaming apps, and utilities.
- Arcade: This is for Apple Arcade, a paid subscription service that offers games without ads or in-app purchases.
- Look for: This section allows you to search the App Store for a particular app.
Locate an app you want to install by browsing the store or doing a search. To download and install it on your iPhone, tap the “Get” button next to it. Or if it has a price (like “$4.99”), tap the price button to buy the app and install it.
Then you will see a pop-up window asking if you want to install or buy the app. Tap “Install,” then confirm that you want to download or purchase the app using your Apple ID, Touch ID, or Face ID password.
After that, you will see a circular download progress indicator next to the app name as the app downloads and installs on your iPhone.
Once the download is complete, return to your home screen and swipe left or right until you see the app icon. Tap the app icon to launch it.
If you don’t see the app on one of your home screen pages, your iPhone may be set to send new apps directly to the App Library. In that case, swipe left until you see the App Library, and you can launch it from there. Or you can open Spotlight Search, enter the app name and quickly open the app.
If you want to remove an app you downloaded, you can delete it from your iPhone by holding your finger on the app icon until a menu appears. Select “Delete App” from the menu and iPhone will uninstall the app. You can download it again later in the App Store at any time. Happy downloading!